Clearwater Dunedin Music School
Welcome to Creative Keys
Clearwater Dunedin Music School
1602 Virginia Street, Dunedin, FL 34698
With over 325 students and 20 teachers, Creative Keys Music School is Pinellas County’s largest music education center. The school has eight private rooms and a large multi-purpose room, as well as a spacious, comfortable waiting area. Students learn to play piano, guitar, violin, viola, cello, voice, drums, ukulele, mandolin, banjo, woodwinds, and brass with talented, friendly instructors who are highly experienced in both teaching and performance. Students ages 5 to adult have a great time learning to play an instrument!
ARE WE THE RIGHT
SCHOOL FOR YOU?
Here are 16 reasons to help you decide.
A proven record of excellence
in teaching children and adults to play an instrument. Creative Keys has been in business for 14 years, with hundreds of students taking weekly lessons. You can be assured that you or your child will receive a high quality music education, whether your goal is just to have fun or pursue serious study.
A family owned and operated company
with friendly owners who truly love music . Owners Derek & Hayley Fair (husband and wife) and Susan Wilkenson (Derek’s mom) opened Creative Keys with a goal of inspiring children and adults to begin a life-long love of music. Their enthusiasm for music truly shows!
A spacious waiting area
with Wifi, a children’s play area, homework tables, magazines, and plenty of seating. Students and parents feel comfortable “hanging out” before and during lesson times. Parents always have the option of sitting in on their child’s lesson, or enjoying some personal time in the waiting area.
who are comfortable teaching a wide variety of music genres – and are fun & friendly, too!
Our teachers hold various credentials, including Bachelor or Master degrees, professional teaching certificates from the state of FL, memberships in the National Guild of Piano Teachers, Music Teachers National Association, and extensive performance experience. You can feel confident that you or your child will receive a solid foundation in your music studies as our instructors teach note reading, rhythm, proper technique, expression, and more. Teachers are skilled in adjusting their teaching style and plans to suit the unique needs of each student and work hard to help students accomplish their goals.
Regular, ongoing performance opportunities
Creative Keys offers more performance opportunities than any other music school in the area. Our themed performance parties are casual, in-house recitals with refreshments and take place 4 times per year (usually February, July/August, October, and December). Our larger Spring recital is held at the Music Gallery in Clearwater and students have the opportunity to perform on a Steinway grand piano on a stage. In addition, students are invited to perform at a local assisted living facility once or twice a year. We encourage all students to participate in one or more of these performances as this helps with goal setting and overall confidence. All of our recitals are free of charge to students and their families!
Multiple instruments taught under one roof
– piano, guitar, bass, violin, viola, cello, voice, drums, ukulele, mandolin, banjo, woodwinds, brass, and more!
We have many families who have children taking lessons on more than one instrument or sibling groups who take lessons with two teachers at the same time. This results in the ultimate convenience for busy families, saving them time and money.
LESSON TIMES AVAILABLE MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY
Our school offers a wide range of lesson times, with lunchtime and early afternoon lessons for adults or homeschooled children, as well as afternoon and evening times. Lessons are offered Monday-Friday from noon to 8pm and on Saturdays from 9:30am-2:00pm.
Lessons for ages 5 to adult
Many younger children take piano lessons to set a strong foundation for music. We also have a number of adults who decided to pursue studying an instrument as a hobby or stress reliever, or even to be able to help their children excel at music. It’s definitely never too late to learn an instrument!
No registration/membership fee or long-term contract
Creative Keys does not charge a registration fee or require students to sign a semester or annual contract. Lessons are month-to-month, as we want our students to continue because they truly want to take lessons (not because they are locked into a contract). Most students stick with lessons long-term because they love learning new songs and techniques and interacting with their teacher. There’s always something new to learn!
Located in Dunedin at the corner of Keene (C.R. 1) and Virginia Street, Creative Keys is central to many cities. We have students coming to us from Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs, Oldsmar, Clearwater, Safety Harbor, Largo, Pinellas Park, and even Tampa. In our plaza, you’ll find Frank’s pizza next door, as well as a barber and hair salon. For families who have children in sports, we are located right in front of the soccer fields used by Dunedin Stirling soccer club.
Music books in stock or ordered as needed
We carry all of the beginner books recommended by our teachers and order books as requested by students or teachers, with a fast turn-around of only 1-3 days. We accept cash, check, or credit/debit for books.
Summer camps and other enrichment activities
Creative Keys offers a variety of summer camps each year for students entering Kindergarten through 5th grade. We have a great time learning and reinforcing musical concepts through games and activities. Teachers also periodically offer group classes or ensembles throughout the year; for example, a guitar ensemble for intermediate students or beginner guitar class.
Creative Keys is open year-round so that students can continue their studies without a long break (which could result in a loss of momentum and potential frustration).
Dedicated to lessons, not sales
Creative Keys is a dedicated teaching facility, not a music store. Other studios may be music stores where lessons only exist to allow for potential sales of instruments and accessories. We don’t think of our students as customers we can pitch sales to; instead, we focus on giving our students the very best music education.
Pianos, not keyboards, in studios
Why learn on a digital instrument when almost every performance opportunity will be on a real, acoustic piano? Our piano and vocal studios all have acoustic pianos to allow for proper technique to be applied.
A company that gives back to the community
Creative Keys donates to many local schools, including Curtis Fundamental, Garrison Jones, Plato Academy, Academie da Vinci, Guardian Angels, Our Lady of Lourdes, St. Cecilia’s, NorthBay Christian Academy, and more. We are also a business partner of MusicLink Foundation, which offers scholarships to low-income families so that music lessons are available to everyone. For more information on MusicLink Foundation, or to apply, please visit www.musiclinkfoundation.org
- This place is awesome! My daughter takes piano lessons and is loving every momemt of it. Her teacher, Ms. Barbie, is the best ever!
- Roberta was very patient with me. I enjoyed the way she communicated what she was trying to teach, and she seems really kind. I could tell she clearly enjoys teaching and playing violin. She was really good at making me feel comfortable and relaxed.
- I thought Barbie was great. Aly really enjoyed her lesson and is looking forward to her next lesson.
- We love Creative Keys! My 5 year old daughter and 7 year old son are so happy with their teacher "Miss Jenna". After last week's lesson, my son whispered in my ear "I love this place!"
- We are thrilled with George's drum lessons! He clearly approaches drums from a musical perspective and he is a great and patient teacher. He anticipates the needs of his students and is always prepared. He really adds value to the music program at Creative Keys!
- My 5th grader just started piano lessons about 2 months ago and she loves it. We could not be happier. Our teacher is amazing, Ms. Sarah. If you have been thinking about it, try it I am sure you won't be disappointed.
- She loved it! She was very excited and really seemed to enjoy not only Pam's music but getting to know Pam! She seems to be a lovely person! Thank you! What a beautiful place to be!
- The boys had a BLAST! They both loved it and looking forward to next week. We are super excited and hope the boys can only just grow and love the art of music in general, I know I do! :)
- The boys both really like Anthony! Looking forward to what he can inspire them to do :)
- Genevieve absolutely loved voice this week. She thinks her teacher is super nice as well. She can’t wait to go back
- Brianna ran into the house and yelled “that was awesome!” I was very impressed! He is a wonderful teacher!
- My daughter started taking lessons with Sarah in June (2014) and we are both extremely happy. Sarah is young, soft spoken and sweet. My daughter enjoys going to her lessons. Sarah provides great feed back if I ask her a question. I think my daughter is moving at a great pace - every child is different - I'm not expecting Mozart. I want my daughter to love playing not because I want her to, but because she wants to and Sarah provides the appropriate speed that works for her, which I appreciate. The rest of the staff is also warm and welcoming.
- Nicole is wonderful! Becky is getting along really well with her and feels comfortable with her too. She has given Becky some other tips and so far everything is great!
- Lia loved Barbie as an instructor and absolutely loved her lesson. She is so excited and practicing daily!
- Noah had fun and really likes Dann. He said Dann is “nice” which is important to both of us. Can’t wait to see you again Saturday.
- We were VERY pleased with Nicole! She was approachable, professional, knowledgeable, kind, and friendly… Everything that both a parent and a pre-teen would want in a teacher. Thank you for assigning us to her. We look forward to Olivia's future lessons with her.
- Marko loved his piano lesson and his teacher. He is practicing and can’t wait to go again.
- It was a great experience! We like Pam very much. When Aidan came out from from his lesson he had a smile from ear to ear. He has been playing non-stop at home too.
- Sarah’s first lesson went great! She really likes her teacher and can’t wait to go back for the next class :)
- Chris’s lesson went very well. We are excited to join you!!! Dallas is a very good teacher!!!
- Creative Keys is an inspiring place to be with a really great atmosphere and talented teachers!